Message in a bottle is a simple idea which allows emergency information to be kept in a small plastic bottle which is easily and quickly found by the Emergency Services in an emergency.
The scheme was introduced in 2002 in Oxfordshire on a county-wide basis, and well over 70,000 bottles have been issued since. The idea was then picked up by Lions clubs nationally.
The process is simple:
- Collect you bottle from your GP, Chemist or request directly from a Lions club
- Complete the form with the details requested
- Add a copy of your latest repeat prescription
- If you have a DNACPR* form, place the tear off slip in the bottle*
- Place one of the sticky labels on the INSIDE of the main door to you premises
- Place the other sticky label on the door of your fridge
Message in a Bottle is free to the user and is funded by Lions clubs, where organisations become heavy users of the Bottles ie: NHS, or age related charities then a donation is sought.
The Lions Club has also introduced a "Message in a Wallet" scheme, where people complete the same card, but keep it in a wallet or purse in case they have an emergency while they are away from home.
For more details, or to request new bottles, please call Witney Lions Club on 01993 772241